Keeping Kids Safe From Poisons And Chemicals

Share

home safety & security-home informationPoisons are a great threat at home for young unatteneded kids

Although pesticides  and other home based poisons can be beneficial to society, they can be dangerous if used carelessly or if they are not stored properly and out of the reach of children. According to data collected from the American Association of Poison Control Centers, in 2004 alone, an estimated 71,000 children were involved in common household pesticide-related poisonings or exposures in the United States.


Additional Articles You’ll Alsso Like:

Article: Keeping Your Family Safe at Home
Article: Add More Fire Exits to Your Home with Fire Escape Ladders
Article: Bath Safety For Seniors


A survey by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regarding pesticide poisons used in and around the home revealed some significant findings:

-Almost half, 47%, of all households with children under the age of five had at least one pesticide poisons stored in an unlocked cabinet, less than 4 feet off the ground (i.e., within the reach of children).Home Improvement ideas-poisions

-Approximately 75% of households without children under the age of five also stored pesticides in an unlocked cabinet, less than 4 feet off the ground (i.e., within the reach of children). This number is especially significant because 13% of all pesticide poisoning incidents occur in homes other than the child’s home.

Bathrooms and kitchens were cited as the areas in the home most likely to have improperly stored pesticides. Examples of some common household pesticide poisons found in bathrooms and kitchens include roach sprays; chlorine bleach; kitchen and bath disinfectants; rat poisons; insect and wasp sprays, repellents and baits; and, flea and tick shampoos and dips for pets. Other household pesticides include swimming pool chemicals and weed killers.

EPA regulates pesticides in the United States under the pesticide law (the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act). Since 1981, the law has required most residential-use pesticide poisons with a signal word of “danger” or “warning” to be in child-resistant packaging. These are the pesticides which are most toxic to children. Child-resistant packaging is designed to prevent most children under the age of five from gaining access to the pesticide poisons, or at least delay their access. However, individuals must also take precautions to protect children from accidental pesticide poisonings or exposures.home and garden-household poisions

Recommendations For Preventing Accidental Poisonings
-Always store pesticide poisions away from children’s reach, in a locked cabinet or garden shed. Child-proof safety latches may also be installed on cabinets and can be purchased at your local hardware stores:

-Read the label first and follow the directions to the letter, including all precautions and restrictions;

-Before applying pesticide poisons (indoors or outdoors), remove children and their toys as well as pets from the area and keep them away until the pesticide has dried or as long as is recommended by the label;

-If your use of a pesticide is interrupted (perhaps by a phone call), properly reclose the package and be sure to leave the container out of the reach of children while you are gone;

-Never transfer pesticide poisons to other containers that children may associate with food or drink;

-Never place rodent or insect baits where small children can get to them;

-Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container tightly after use;

-Alert others to the potential hazard of pesticides, especially caregivers and grandparents;

-Teach children that “pesticides are poisons” — something they should not touch;

Keep the emergency phone number 1-800-222-1222 of the Poison Control Center near your telephone.

What To Do In Case Of Emergency
Stay calm, try to determine what the child was exposed to and what part of the body was affected before you take action, since taking the right action is as important as taking immediate action. If the person is unconscious, having trouble breathing, or having convulsions, give needed first aid immediately. Call 911 or your local emergency service.

If the person is awake, conscious, not having trouble breathing, and not having convulsions, read the label for first aid instructions and contact your local Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. In most cases, the pesticide products label provides you with a “Statment of Treatment” to follow in emergencies. The appropriate first aid treatment depends on the kind of poisoning that has occurred. If first aid instructions are not available, follow these general guidelines:home and garden-poisions

General First Aid Guidelines
-Swallowed poisons. Induce vomiting ONLY if emergency personnel on the phone tell you to do so. It will depend on what the child has swallowed; some petroleum products or caustic poisons will cause more damage if the child is made to vomit.

Poisons in eye. Eye membranes absorb pesticides faster than any other external part of the body; eye damage can occur in a few minutes with some types of pesticides. If poisons splash into an eye, hold the eyelid open and wash quickly and gently with clean running water from the tap or a gentle stream from a hose for at least 15 minutes. If possible, have someone else contact a Poison Control Center for you while the victim is being treated. Do not use eye drops or chemicals or drugs in the wash water.

Poisons on skin. If pesticide poisons splashes on the skin, drench area with water and remove contaminated clothing. Wash skin and hair thoroughly with soap and water. Later, discard contaminated clothing or thoroughly wash it separately from other laundry.

-Inhaled poisons. Carry or drag victim to fresh air immediately. If you think you need protection such as a respirator and one is not available to you, call the Fire Department and wait for emergency equipment before entering the area. Loosen victim’s tight clothing. If the victim’s skin is blue or the victim has stopped breathing, give artificial respiration (if you know how) and call rescue service for help. Open doors and windows so no one else will be poisoned by fumes.

In any emergency, remember, you are only as effective as you can stay calm, focused and in control of yourself.

Joyce Jackson is a safety expert and consultant in northern California. For the latest information see Keeping Kids Safe

By:

Here Is A Link To A Free Checklist For : HOUSEHOLD GUIDE TO POISON CONTROL

Help Out Home Information Guru by Following Us On: FaceBook, Twitter, & Pintrest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Valid comments are always encouraged and welcome, but please remember this is not a platform for self-promotion. All comments are moderated, and those with links that are not relevent to the content on this blog WILL NOT be published.